7 Reasons We're Heading To Camp Bisco XI
- Category: Fest Nest
- Published on June 06 2012
- Written by Tracy Block
It’s no secret that last year’s Camp Bisco took on a new brand of pandemonium. And, due to the flooding of teenage ragers (some claimed to not even know who the hosting band was), it’s great to hear that the firm fellows behind MCP Presents are taking plenty of steps in the right direction to shape last year’s mega fest chaos into a more manageable animal this time around. And, though it seems the days of an intimate fest reunion are long gone, it’s reassuring to know that the creative minds behind Camp Bisco are listening to those attendees who matter most – the loyal Bisco family.
Melodysiac will be smack in the middle of the chaos, from epic Jon “The Barber” Gutwillig peaks to private Orchard Lounge dance parties. And, for those of you who might be on the fence about attending, we’ve decided to construct a healthy roster on why we think you should pack up and hit the road with us to Mariaville, NY on July 12 through 14, 2012 – without further hesitation.
1. An early and easier entry: We are psyched to hear that Camp Bisco will be opening its gates for the first time on Wednesday evening, instead of Thursday morning. As much as we love an all-night lot rager in the holding tank – and believe us, we do – there’s nothing better than a smooth arrival, setting up camp and kicking back with ease. We also hear there will be another added entry, along with the main gate and the VIP. Amen, Meat Camp. Thanks for answering our call.
2. Camping in the woods: Unlike so many other festies that hit smack in the middle of summer, and are known for sweltering temperatures, Camp Bisco, instead, comes with a more-than-likely chance of rain. But, that doesn’t mean we’re not still 100 percent onboard to try out the new camping accommodations. This time around, campers can set up home in the shade of the surrounding forest for more privacy and an extra refuge away from the action. We don’t like this. We love this.
3. The return of label tents: Last year, Camp Bisco X debuted its label tents, where record labels could set up shop and rage their artists for a full day. Last year’s label love was dedicated to highlighting talents from Mad Decent, Damon Dash and the famed DFA Records. But, how is the fest preparing to top that? With A-Trak’s own beloved Fool’s Gold Clubhouse, of course. We’re also looking forward to indie label Ninja Tune’s Blockhead, as well as our OWSLA fix – thanks for the gift of Dillon Francis. Seriously.
4. Getting more Shpongled than ever before: When Shpongle is on the bill, you know something majestic will unfold. From the guys who brought the Shpongletron to the fest circuit last year, and the rainy, but regal Shpongle Live set to Camp Bisco X, comes Shpongle Presents the Masquerade. We’re not quite sure what it entails, but the genius minds behind the faces of Simon Posford and Raja Ram are sure to share some loopy audio-visual delicacies for the masses.
5. ISAM insanity: For those who have been waiting patiently to catch the Amon Tobin ISAM masterpiece of fragmented bytes and bits, Camp Bisco XI is prepared to host one of the most anticipated acts of all time. The tech prodigy himself prepares to introduce his realm of the future in 3-D, with winding patterns, crashing sounds and a form of disbelief that might take many a lengthy digestive period (way past the weekend) to fully comprehend. We say bring on the staggering genius!
6. The other 100 performers: In addition to a few staple acts that come around each Camp Bisco, the awesomely weird Silent Disco, the chance to check out new progressive acts at the Showcase Stage and the A/V destruction, we think the Camp Bisco XI 2012 lineup is pretty damn notable. If you weed through a few hours of mindless beats, you’ll find more than just a handful of live gems worth checking out. We’re most excited for Portugal. The Man, Lotus, Break Science with Chali 2na, Tycho, Kung Fu, Brothers Past, Future Rock, YACHT, Rubblebucket and whatever it is you consider Nobody Beats the Drum to be – besides awesome, that is. Plenty of DJs can spin a tight set, but it’s those in-your-face live acts that’ll produce the most memorable musical jams of the weekend.
7. The Disco Biscuits: That is all. Just kidding. No, but, really. For diehard fans of the Disco Biscuits, this has been a rough year. We haven’t been able to follow our favorite foursome on the road. Instead, we’ve had to settle for side projects, one dual-city New Year’s Eve run and a pricey trip to Mexico. And, for those of us who can’t make it to the 'Road to Camp Bisco' shows in early July, we’ll catch the best jamtronica quartet on the planet at the one and only Camp Bisco. No matter who attends or what tomfoolery ensues, if you’re part of the Bisco family, you put up with the shitshow. And ambivalence aside, we’ll go, we’ll shimmy under lasers, we’ll stomp in the mud and, as the climax of “Basis For A Day” sounds, we’ll remember exactly why it was we trekked out to the middle of Mariaville for another weekend of utter ridiculousness.
Camp Bisco XI is set to take place back in its home of Mariaville, NY. Indian Lookout Country Club will welcome campers Thursday, July 12 through Saturday, July 14, with an early entry option on Wednesday, July 11 at 9 p.m. Melodysiac looks forward to the festivities and capturing all the crazy. See you there!
Photos by Melodysiac.com © 2011